The smell of freshly baked bread emanating from your kitchen has to be one of the greatest smells around and provides you with the added bonus of knowing that you made those tasty rolls. Below we’ve got a delicious recipe for crusty rolls that’s simple, quick and easy so it’s sure to become a family favorite in any house!
- 410g of bread flour
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of salt
- 2 teaspoons of dried active yeast
- Approximately 220ml of lukewarm water
- Place the flour and the salt into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Add the sugar and the yeast to the water and allow it to activate for about 10 minutes.
- While waiting for the yeast to activate, wipe down all kitchen worktops so that you are ready to knead the dough when necessary.
- Once the yeast is activated (you can tell this by looking at it – it should be frothy as seen in the photo), add the sugar yeast mixture to the flour, a little at a time, and mix well with your hands. If it seems a bit too wet, add a little more flour at a time, if it will not come together, add a little more water – a teaspoon at a time.
- Lightly flour your kitchen worktops and once the ingredients are completely combined, remove the dough from the bowl, placing on the lightly floured surface.
- Knead for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the dough is silky, smooth and soft.
- Place in another large bowl (sprayed with a little oil to prevent sticking), cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise in a warm place (an airing cupboard or on the kitchen worktops in the sun is ideal) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch back the dough and once again place on the lightly floured kitchen worktops and knead for a minute or so.
- Cut into pieces (about 80g each) and then shape into rolls or whatever else you’d like to do with them (mini loaves are fun).
Place on a floured baking tray and cover once again with a damp cloth so they may rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200c.
- Once risen, remove the damp cloth and brush the rolls with a little salted water then place in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.